The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) says that Trinidad and Tobago can expect partly cloudy and hazy conditions this afternoon (Monday 23rd May 2022) with occasional showers over a few areas. There is a low (30%) chance of the odd isolated Thunderstorm.
The Met Office notes that a significant concentration of Saharan dust is present in the area. Sensitive persons are advised to take the necessary precautions.
The forecast maximum temperature is 30°C for both Piarco in Trinidad and Crown Point in Tobago.
The photo above, courtesy of the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS), shows a very hazy view (due to Saharan dust) from San Fernando Hill facing North Trinidad at 11:30am today (Friday 20th May 2022).
According to the Met Office, the Saharan dusk risk level for today on its new 7-day Saharan Dust Haze Index Forecast is “Extreme”, and on Saturday (21st May 2022) it is forecast to be “Very High.” Sensitive persons are advised to continue to take the necessary precautions.
The new Saharan Dust Haze Index Forecast and Air Quality Index Forecast products from the TTMS are now available at: metoffice.gov.tt/forecast. Click on “Dust” and “Air Quality” to view the products.
In a weather update this morning (Thursday 19th May 2022), the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) warns that there is a “thick concentration of Saharan dust present in the atmosphere.” A decrease in air quality is expected so persons who are sensitive to this change should take the necessary precautions.
The Met Office says we can expect mainly dull and hazy conditions today, despite the odd shower. Tonight will be hazy with a light breeze. The forecast maximum temperature today at Piarco in Trinidad is 32°C and 31°C at Crown Point in Tobago.
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) says it’s 2022 Hurricane Season Prediction favours four (4) Tropical Storms as the most likely number of Storms to form in the Area of Interest for Trinidad and Tobago. However, the Met Office notes that the likely range is two (2) to five (5) Tropical Storms forming in the area. Two (2) Hurricanes are most likely to form.
There is a 40% chance of above-normal activity in the Area of Interest for Trinidad and Tobago, a 47% chance of near-normal activity and a 13% chance of below-normal activity.
The TTMS presented its 2022 Hurricane Season Forecast during the 2022 Wet Season – Fourteenth National Climate Outlook Forum (NCOF XIV), which was hosted virtually this morning (Tuesday 17th May 2022).
The Met Office forecasts the following in the Area of Interest for Trinidad and Tobago in 2022:
Below are some key points from the Met Office of what is likely to happen during the Atlantic Hurricane Season, which officially begins on 1st June 2022:
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) is officially declaring the start of the 2022 Wet Season for Trinidad and Tobago. In a statement on Monday (16th May 2022), the TTMS said the official start to the Wet Season is marked by measurable rainfall produced by a Tropical Wave and/or the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ), both of which are the main weather-producing features of Trinidad and Tobago’s Wet Season.
According to the TTMS, it has been monitoring a Tropical Wave that moved across Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday (15th May 2022) into Monday (16th May 2022) and produced measurable rainfall over several areas, thus signaling the official start of the 2022 Wet Season for Trinidad and Tobago. Although this Tropical Wave is the fourth wave that the TTMS has been tracking that moved off the West coast of Africa and traversed the Tropical Atlantic, it is the first one to affect Trinidad and Tobago.
The Met Office notes that as at 8am on Monday (16th May 2022), the month of May has yielded rainfall totals of 28.5mm, which amounts to 23% of the average total rainfall of 124mm for May. The remainder of the month is likely to continue with below-average rainfall across most areas.
The TTMS is reassuring the national community, that in “keeping with our mandate, we continue to closely monitor weather conditions in and around Trinidad and Tobago and will continue to advise the general public in a timely manner, about impending adverse weather conditions which are likely to affect our islands. The public, relevant agencies and Ministries are advised to adopt measures to mitigate the potential impacts of the Wet Season.”
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) has issued a High Wind Alert (Yellow Level) for a total of thirteen (13) hours. The Alert begins at 11pm tonight (Sunday 15th May 2022) and will remain in effect until 12pm tomorrow (Monday 16th May 2022).
Following the passage of the first Tropical Wave of 2022 into tonight, a wind surge is expected, which will increase the instability of the atmosphere even more.
According to the Met Office, relatively strong low-level winds are forecast overnight into tomorrow morning and there is a high (70%) chance of isolated wind gust events in excess of 55 Km/h towards Midnight into tomorrow morning. Such wind gusts may be brief but capable of displacing poorly secured roofs, loose outdoor objects as well as breaking off tree branches.
Marine small crafts can be adversely impacted by these strong winds and visibility may be extremely low during dusk and dawn. Wind waves occasionally can reach up to 2.5m in open waters and may become choppy in sheltered areas.
Citizens are advised to secure loose outdoor objects and livestock. Marine interests should also exercise extra caution during this period.
This is a developing story - refresh this page for updates.
Youthere1 is a website focused on providing useful information, breaking news, entertainment and online shopping in Trinidad and Tobago. Read more about us here.
Copyright © 2022 Youthere1 Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.