Facebook-owned WhatsApp previously withdrew support for numerous devices in 2016, and then from all Windows phones on 31st December 2019. Millions of Android and iPhone devices which only support outdated operating systems will no longer be able to run the app from 1st February 2020. WhatsApp announced this move was coming since 2017.
WhatsApp said the move was necessary in order to protect the security of its users. Smartphones running Android 2.3.7 and older, and iOS 8 or older, are those affected by the update. The operating systems that WhatsApp is dropping support for are legacy operating systems, which are no longer updated or installed on new devices. For instance, iPhone 4s, which only supports up to iOS 7, will no longer be compatible with the app.
Most users will simply be able to update their operating systems in order to continue using the messaging service.
According to a Spokesperson for the company:
This was a tough decision for us to make, but the right one in order to give people better ways to keep in touch with friends, family, and loved ones using WhatsApp.
Analyst Ben Wood from CCS Insight said the following:
WhatsApp clearly had no option but to ensure its service remains secure, however it faces the difficult side-effect that the app is no longer compatible with older smartphones.
WhatsApp was ranked the 4th most-downloaded app of the decade.
The Ministry of National Security held a Press Conference on Friday 31st January 2020 to announce that all glass bottles will be banned during Carnival 2020. The ban goes into effect from 4am on Carnival Monday (24th February) until Midnight on Carnival Tuesday (25th February).
In attendance were National Security Minister Stuart Young, Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith as well as various Carnival stakeholders.
Statements made by Minister Stuart Young:
The Government has taken a decision to prohibit the use of glass bottles for the Carnival period - from 4am on Carnival Monday to midnight on Carnival Tuesday.
Statements made by Gary Griffith:
This is something that the TTPS has been pleading for for several years. We are asking the public to adhere to this ban with a degree of responsibility and maturity.
Various Carnival stakeholders and companies have pledged their support for this ban on glass bottles during Carnival, including Carib Brewery. The company has increased its canned beer stocks. The National Carnival Commission (NCC) has also endorsed this initiative for the ban on glass bottles in hopes of seeing a reduction of injuries during Carnival caused by bottles. SWMCOL has also expressed support for the initiative as it falls in line with its aim to protect the environment.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Coronavirus outbreak a ‘global health emergency’ on Thursday 30th January 2020. The announcement comes as the outbreak has grown to include more than 7,800 cases of people infected with the Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), with 98 of those cases in 18 nations or territories outside of China. So far the virus has killed 170 people, all in China.
The decision came after a near-unanimous vote by an emergency committee at WHO to recommend the declaration.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the following:
I'm declaring a public health emergency of international concern over the novel coronavirus. There are only 98 cases outside China. That number would be higher if not for their actions already.
Tedros noted that the declaration is an international call to assist smaller countries with less robust public health systems to help thwart the outbreak's spread.
China has already implemented a travel ban on 50 Million people in the epicenter of the outbreak. WHO praised the efforts of China in combating the spread of Coronavirus.
As part of their announcement today, WHO also said the following:
It is expected that further international exportation of cases may appear in any country. Thus, all countries should be prepared for containment, including active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case management, contact tracing and prevention of onward spread of 2019-nCoV infection, and to share full data with WHO.
See a recent breakdown below of countries that have reported confirmed cases of Coronavirus so far and stay tuned for updates.
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service is advising citizens that a Saharan dust event is expected from Thursday 30th January 2020 and is likely to last at least five (5) days. The peak of the event is likely to be on Friday 31st January 2020, and it is possible for this event to be the first significant one for 2020.
A mild concentration of dust has been present since Wednesday 29th January 2020 and therefore highly sensitive persons would of already started to feel the effects. Air quality has also dropped to moderate levels.
UPDATE: The Tsunami Warning was updated just before 3:45pm EST to say 'The Tsunami threat has now largely passed.’ There is still a threat of aftershocks after one significant one - 6.5 magnitude - was reported around 5pm EST.
A Tsunami threat message has been issued by the U.S National Weather Service's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck near Jamaica on Tuesday 28th January 2020. The quake was felt all the way in Miami, which is 708 Km (440 miles) from the epicenter. According to the Weather Service, there is a threat of Tsunami waves reaching 0.3 meters to 1 meter (about 1 to 3 feet) above tide level for the coasts of Jamaica, Belize, Cuba, Honduras, Mexico and the Cayman Islands.
The earthquake struck at 2:10pm EST in the strait between Jamaica and Cuba. Its epicenter was about 116 Km (72 miles) Northwest of Lucea, Jamaica, and 140 Km (87 miles) Southwest of Niquero, Cuba, at a depth of 10 Km (6.2 miles), according to the U.S Geological Survey.
Schools and buildings in Jamaica and Cuba were evacuated after people reported feeling the ground shake for about a minute. No deaths or injuries have been reported following the earthquake and the extent of the damage is still emerging as new images show massive sinkholes opened up on roads and other areas in the Cayman Islands.
The Cayman Islands Disaster Management Agency warned citizens who are near the shore to 'evacuate vertically' as a precaution.
Tremors felt on the island, which sits about 249 Km (155 miles) from the epicenter, reportedly left cracks in the roads and sewage is said to be spilling out of broken pipes (see photo below).
Several downtown Skyscrapers in Miami were evacuated when the quake was felt there and workers were seen leaving their buildings.
The earthquake appears to have been a "strike-slip earthquake," in which tectonic plates slide against each other. This limits the threat of a devastating Tsunami, which are more associated with "thrust earthquakes," where a portion of the earth is thrust upward and causes the water to push up and outward, creating the Tsunami.
This is a developing story - refresh this page for updates.
As Naiee Singh (31) exited her vehicle in the car park of her workplace at Venture Credit Union in Couva this morning (Monday 27th January 2020), she was ambushed and killed by her husband, Roger Singh (32). Roger then shot himself. They were both pronounced dead at the scene.
Naiee was granted a Restraining Order last week against Roger, which was supposed to prevent her estranged husband from approaching, harassing or contacting her in any way. They have been separated since last year.
According to a witness to the crime who was also in the same car park at Venture Credit Union, the woman was heard screaming while Roger was seen holding a firearm over her. Two (2) gunshots were heard soon after and the witness saw the woman’s body fall to the ground. While running to seek help, the witness heard another two (2) gunshots and upon returning to the scene, noticed the man also lying on the ground. Police found a .38 revolver at the scene and both bodies bore gunshot wounds to the head.
Naiee worked as a Loans Receptionist at Venture Credit Union. Following their separation, she moved out of the home she shared with her husband and returned to the home of her parents. Her husband worked as a Lecturer at the National Energy Skills Centre (NESC).
Investigations are continuing.
UPDATE 2: The Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, his daughter, Gianna, and seven (7) others that crashed into a rugged hillside outside Los Angeles was flying in foggy conditions considered dangerous enough that local police agencies grounded their own Choppers.
UPDATE: Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, Los Angeles County Fire Department Chief Daryl Osby and other authorities held a Press Conference to address the Helicopter crash. It was revealed here that a total of nine (9) persons died in the crash.
Kobe Bryant (41), his daughter Gianna (13) as well as three (3) others were killed when Bryant’s personal Sikorsky S-76 Helicopter crashed on a hillside in Calabasas, California shortly after 1pm EST on Sunday 26th January 2020. There were no survivors, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. Witnesses reported hearing the Helicopter's engine sputtering before it went down near the home of Kourtney Kardashian. Pictures taken shortly after the crash showed fog in the area. Sunday morning's weather also included light wind and temperatures in the mid-50s. Calabasas is about 30 miles west of Los Angeles.
Kobe and his daughter were expected at the Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks, California for a basketball game scheduled for Noon on Sunday. Gianna was expected to play in the game and Kobe was expected to coach.
He is survived by his wife Vanessa and three (3) out of their four (4) daughters - Natalia (17), Bianca (3) and newborn Capri (7 months). Kobe and Vanessa got married in 2001 after meeting in 1999. A memorial to Kobe has already sprung up outside of Staples Center, where Kobe played for years.
Kobe is widely considered one of the greatest NBA players of all time - making 18 All-Star teams during his 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers. He was a first-round pick in the 1996 Draft, winning 5 NBA Championships, 2 NBA Finals MVPs and he was the league MVP in 2008.
Until Saturday, he was the third-leading scorer in NBA history with 33,643 points but was surpassed by LeBron James.
This is a developing story - refresh this page for updates.
Piarco International Airport is on high alert as it continues to screen all passengers for the deadly Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). 95 flights had been scanned up to Friday 24th January 2020 and a total of 7,526 passengers were screened. No passengers were found to have Coronavirus so far during screenings.
The Coronavirus, which originated in Wuhan, China, has since spread to various parts of the world with confirmed cases in France, the United States, Australia and several Asian countries. Since its discovery it has killed at least 41 people and infected around 1,400.
Minister of Health, Terrence Deyalsingh, visited Piarco Airport on Thursday 23rd January 2020 along with several Health Officials to check Thermo-Scanning equipment being used to screen passengers.
There have been no confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the Caribbean and according to the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), the risk remains low in the region.
Common signs of infection for Coronavirus include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause Pneumonia, severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, kidney failure and even death. This 2019-nCoV virus is a new strain of Coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans.
The Commissioner of Police has issued an Order for traffic restrictions in Port-of-Spain for the formal re-opening of the Red House building of the Parliament of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago. The Order takes effect from 6am to 5pm on Friday 24th January 2020.
See the Order below for full details of the various traffic restrictions in Port-of-Spain.
A new Road Safety and Traffic Enforcement system will be launched on 2nd March 2020. The announcement was made by Minister of Works and Transport, Rohan Sinanan, during the launch at Hyatt Regency on Wednesday 22nd January 2020. The new system will see the introduction of a Demerit Points System, the New Fixed Penalty Traffic Ticketing System, and the Red Light Camera Enforcement System.
The systems are designed to help improve compliance on the nation's roads since the majority of vehicular accidents and road fatalities in T&T are the result of speeding. However, the Spot Speed Camera System, which detects when a driver breaks the speed limit, is not yet ready for launch.
Legislation is currently before Parliament and should be finalised within a month, according to Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi, who also spoke at the launch.
Watch the News Report from TTT below and stay tuned for updates.
Youthere1 is a website focused on providing useful information, breaking news, entertainment and online shopping in Trinidad and Tobago.
Copyright © 2023 Youthere1 Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.