The Ministry of Health held a virtual Press Conference at 11am this morning (Saturday 31st October 2020) to update the public on the latest developments with COVID-19 in Trinidad and Tobago.
Below are the key points discussed today:
- Minister of Health, Terrence Deyalsingh, stated that the long-awaited Antigen Rapid Testing Kits have arrived, on schedule, this week. Minister Deyalsingh indicates that the decentralization of COVID-19 testing is now complete.
- The Health Minister also stated that these Antigen tests, apart from being able to yield results much faster than the PCR tests, are also far cheaper - priced at US $6 each as opposed to US $100 for the completion of a single PCR test.
- Technical Director of Epidemiology at the Ministry of Health, Dr. Avery Hinds, displayed statistics that showed that COVID-19 is on the increase on a global scale. However, the data collected in T&T shows that new cases of the virus continue to decrease.
- Principal Medical Officer of Epidemiology, Dr. Naresh Nandram, shared some details about the advantages of the Antigen Rapid Testing Kits and how they compare to PCR testing. Dr. Nandram stated that while PCR testing requires a Laboratory setting with highly trained staff, the Antigen tests do not require a lab at all and are point-of-care machines, which means that they can be carried to the patients.
- Dr. Nandram demonstrated the relative ease in which these Kits are operated and said that they are able to give results in 30 minutes. He also indicated that the Accident & Emergency Departments of all Hospitals will be supplied with these Antigen Test Kits.
Watch the Press Conference below in its entirety.
This is a developing story - refresh this page for updates.
Youthere1 is a website focused on providing useful information, breaking news, entertainment and online shopping in Trinidad and Tobago. Read more about us here.
Copyright © 2022 Youthere1 Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.